What Is Worm Shaft?
Worm shaft refers to a gear that has one or several helical teeth and meshes with a worm gear to form a cross-shaft gear pair. The indexing surface can be cylindrical, conical or toroidal. There are four types of Archimedes worms, involute worms, normal straight worms, and cone enveloped cylindrical worms. Minghe Hardware meets or exceeds the quality standards of the world’s most demanding industries with our state of the art equipment and quality standards. Each component operates under the watchful eye of the Minghe Hardware quality management team who naturally see potential design amendments that cut costs and recognize materials issues before they hit the production floor. This tradition of pride is precisely what you’ll experience when you contact a Minghe expert about your next worm shaft machining job. Minghe Hardware specializes in close tolerance Worm Shaft machining of complex, micro and miniature machined parts. Visit our Worm Shaft Machining page to learn more about our expertise in high volume production of precision worm shaft.
The Classification Of Worm Shaft
- Archimedes Worm Shaft: This kind of worm, on the plane perpendicular to the axis of the worm (that is, the end surface), the tooth profile is an Archimedes spiral, and the tooth profile on the plane containing the axis (that is, the axial tooth profile) is Straight line, its tooth profile angle α0=20°. It can be used on the lathe with a single tool (when the lead angle γ≤3°) or a double tool (when γ>3°) with a linear blade. When installing the tool, the top surface of the cutting edge must pass through the axis of the worm. This kind of worm is difficult to grind, and it is inconvenient to process when the lead angle is large.
- Normal straight profile Worm Shaft: The end tooth profile of this worm is an extended involute, and the normal (N-N) tooth profile is a straight line. The ZN worm is also turned on a lathe with a single or double cutter with a straight blade. This kind of worm is also difficult to grind.
- Involute Worm Shaft: The end tooth profile of this worm is involute, so it is equivalent to an involute cylindrical helical gear with a small number of teeth (the number of teeth is equal to the number of worm heads) and a large helix angle. The worm can be turned on a lathe with two turning tools with linear blades. The top surface of the blade should be tangent to the base cylinder, one of which is higher than the axis of the worm, and the other is lower than the axis of the worm. The tooth profile angle of the tool should be equal to the helix angle of the base cylinder of the worm. This kind of worm can be ground on a dedicated machine tool.
- Cone Enveloping Cylindrical Worm Shaft (ZK Worm Shaft): This is a non-linear spiral curved worm. It cannot be machined on a lathe, it can only be milled on a milling machine and ground on a grinder. During processing, in addition to the spiral movement of the workpiece, the tool simultaneously makes a rotary movement around its own axis. At this time, the envelope surface of the rotary surface of the milling cutter (or grinding wheel) is the spiral tooth surface of the worm, and the tooth profiles on the I-I and N-N sections are all curved. This kind of worm is easy to grind, the precision of the worm is higher, and the application is becoming more and more extensive. As for the tooth profile of the worm gear paired with the above-mentioned types of worms, it is completely different with the tooth profile of the worm. Worm gears are generally processed on hobbing machines with hobs or flying knives. In order to ensure that the worm and the worm gear can mesh correctly, the hob tooth profile of the cutting worm wheel should be consistent with the worm tooth profile; the center distance during deep cutting should also be the same as the center distance of the worm drive.
Minghe Hardware has more than 30 years of experience in turbine worm shaft processing, mainly processing and producing various small modulus, high-precision worm shafts. Welcome domestic and foreign motor manufacturers to consult and negotiate with drawings and samples.
- CNC lathe processing: Φ5mm-Φ60mm*700mm
- CNC milling machine processing: 800mm*1500mm*700mm
3. Technical parameters
|Material||Alloy steel, carbon steel, stainless steel, stainless iron|
|Surface Treatment||Oxidation, blackening, electroplating, polishing, black matt treatment, sandblasting|
|Testing Equipment||Projector, roughness meter, thread pitch runout measuring instrument, caliper, micrometer, lever micrometer, micro thread caliper, gauge, Rockwell hardness tester, Webster hardness tester, diameter gauge, gear testing center, roundness tester, Deflection instrument, stop gauge, high gauge, thread gauge, etc.|
|Processing Equipment||CNC machining center, CNC lathe, CNC milling machine, internal and external cylindrical grinder, centerless grinder, CNC grinder, automatic lathe, grinder, punching machine, welding machine, drilling machine, tapping machine, wire cutting, thread rolling machine, CNC gear hobbing machine, super-precision surface Machine etc.|
|Drawing Format||PDF, dwg, CAD，JPG, Solidworks|
|Production Capacity||100,000 pcs/month|
|Size Range||OD：Φ4mm-Φ50mm, Length≤700mm|
|Application Field||Fitness equipment, automobiles, air conditioners, household appliances, office appliances, medical equipment, etc.|
|Package||Plastic bag + carton + (pallet), plastic bag + wooden box, according to customer requirements|
|Delivery Time||Sample: 10-15 days; Batch: According to the order quantity|
5. Manufacturer advantages
- Precision processing with drawings and samples;
- Production-oriented enterprise, more than 20 years of experience in precision shaft processing, strong technical support, advanced processing equipment, complete inspection equipment and a strong logistics inspection team;
- 100% factory inspection, quality assurance;
- Strong productivity and short processing cycle.
6. Common Material Processing
|Other commonly used alloy steels||35CrMo，20Cr，40Cr，40CrMo，42CrMo，20CrMnTi，20CrMMnMo,etc.,|
7. Surface Treatment
|stainless steel||Other steel materials|
8. Strict inspection standards
- Strong QC team;
- Incoming inspection of raw materials;
- First inspection, patrol inspection, random inspection;
- 100% factory inspection.
Minghe Worm Shaft Case Studies List
Manufacturer of standard and custom spline, precision and worm shafts. Made from steel, stainless steel, aluminum, bronze, cast iron, plastic, fiber and nylon. Spline shafts are available in 56 in. length. Involute, straight and British standard metric gear tooth forms available. Various capabilities include boring, drilling, milling, knurling, reaming, gear cutting, thread grinding, turning, threading and tapping. Additional services such as heat treating, plating, passivation, anodizing, CMM inspection and testing provided. Low to medium volume production runs offered. Serves the aircraft, automobile, automotive, government, marine, military, mining, nuclear, semiconductor and transportation industries. Made in the China.